International Women’s Day
On the occasion of 2018 International Women’s Day, Widad pledges to every woman and girl that she will stand up for their rights and fight for peace and justice:
“Happy International Women’s Day everyone! To us not just today, but everyday is a chance to move forward towards global peace and gender justice. We will resist and persist until dignity for all and gender equality become a reality.”
“Statement of Dr. Widad on International Women’s Day
As we mark International Women’s Day, let’s remember that women and men around the world have worked hard for what has been accomplished so far. We thank them and our parents and grandparents for their sacrifices. However, much more needs to be done to bring about peace and gender equality.
There is no better time to shine a light on the women and girls under fire in Afrin, Ghouta, Yemen, Balochistan and elsewhere. Today we recall the females affected by gender violence globally, as well as the victims of human trafficking, FGM and early marriages, and those persecuted because of their ethnicity or faith, whether Kurds, Yazidis, Christians, Jews, Hindus, Muslim Rohingya or any other (ethnic/religious) group.
We call for:
- An immediate cessation of hostilities in conflict areas and the initiation of processes that will lead to finding practical, peaceful solutions to disputes;
- The provision of access to medical care to injured people, regardless of who they are;
- Justice for the victims of torture, persecution, wars and other abuses, especially gender-based violence, both in peace and war, both in public and private spaces;
- The release of journalists, human rights defenders, political prisoners, civil society activists and kidnapped citizens. There is no better day to call for the release of the Yazidi women, girls and children who were kidnapped by ISIS and taken away to slavery or human trafficking; and
- An end to impunity, all human rights violations, war crimes and crimes against humanity.
Happy International Women’s Day everyone! To us not just today, but everyday is a chance to move forward towards global peace and gender justice. We will resist and persist until dignity for all and gender equality become a reality.
Issued on 8 March 2018